Enrollment and Attendance FAQs

Who is eligible to attend Insight Schools of California (ISCA)?

Any student in grades 9–12 who resides in one of these California counties is eligible for full-time enrollment:

  • Alameda
  • Amador
  • Calaveras
  • Contra Costa
  • Imperial
  • Inyo
  • Kern
  • Kings
  • Los Angeles
  • Orange
  • Riverside
  • Sacramento
  • Santa Barbara
  • San Bernardino
  • Santa Clara
  • San Diego
  • San Joaquin
  • San Luis Obispo
  • Stanislaus
  • Tulare
  • Ventura

Students must also be 20 years of age or younger when they enroll. Students who turn 21 while enrolled and need additional education in order to receive a diploma may remain enrolled until they meet the graduation requirements or the end of the school year in which they turn 21, whichever occurs first. Enrolling students must also be able to demonstrate completion of the eighth grade through official transcript or homeschool portfolios.

What does it cost to attend ISCA?

ISCA is a public school program, so there is no tuition. We provide California-credentialed teachers and instructional materials. Eligible families receive a loaner computer and printer. Students and families will be responsible for providing some common household materials (such as printer ink and paper). Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs.

How many students will get into the school?

ISCA is a public school. In most cases, students who wish to enroll are admitted subject only to capacity along with the grade restrictions and age and geographical limitations previously listed.

What is the attendance policy?

As California public school students, all ISCA students must comply with the state-required minimum number of instructional days.

Can students enroll and begin classes at any time of the year?

Students can submit an enrollment application anytime during the year and, once approved, start at the next scheduled start date.

If my student has been expelled from another school, can they enroll at ISCA?

Each case will be reviewed based on records from your current or former school district. As a California public school, ISCA may honor current expulsions from another district. Approval for enrollment will not be granted until the case is reviewed.

Can my student transfer credits from a homeschool portfolio?

Generally, students can apply public school credits or earned credits for homeschool work toward their graduation requirements at ISCA. Students who enroll with a transcript or a homeschool portfolio will speak with an ISCA admissions advisor who will evaluate satisfactory completion of the documented work as it relates to ISCA standards.

Can our family take a vacation during the school year?

The school calendar includes school holidays or vacation time. Whenever possible, family vacations should align with school vacation days. Parents are encouraged to contact their student’s teacher if they plan a vacation that does not coordinate with the school calendar.

Does ISCA provide McKinney-Vento/homeless assistance and supports?

According to section 725(2) of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11434a(2)), the term “homeless children and youths”—

  • (A) means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence…; and
  • (B) includes—
    • (i) children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
    • (ii) children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
    • (iii) children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
    • (iv) migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).

Children and youth are considered homeless if they fit both part A and any one of the subparts of part B of the definition above.